Monday, March 26, 2012

Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, and Suri wearing my jewelry? Yes please!


Sorry it's been so long since my last post but I've been working away like a little elf in my shop. 
One of the things keeping me so busy is a celebrity gifting opportunity I was chosen for by The Artisan Group.  I know, I know, why do celebrities get all the good free stuff?!  Well, simply put, because they are celebrities.  Yes, they can afford to buy their own stuff but if I'm given the opportunity to get my art in the hands of someone who has the ability to show it to the whole world, then I'm all about it.

The Cruises (Tom, Katie, & Suri) are the lucky recipients of this particular swag bag.  Yes, THEY are the lucky ones because this bag is going to be filled with ridiculously amazing handcrafted items from some of the most talented people I know.  You can see them on The Artisan Group's official Pinterest Board here.
(if you don't see any items on the board keep checking back. they're coming, i promise!)

So for Mr. Cruise, I decided on a pair of sterling silver cufflinks accented with his birthstone, ruby. 
I'm so proud of how they turned out but the making of these was the beginning of what I'm pretty sure is going to be carpel tunnel.  Each cufflink has 5 solder joins and the rubies are only 5mm.  Maybe not a big deal for some but these are by far the most intricate pieces I've made.  I literally prayed with each blast from the torch that I wouldn't melt them into a puddle!

Now for Suri I had a hard time because I don't really make kid's jewelry.  But everytime I thought of her the image of a ladybug popped into my head.  So I went with it.  Of course I had to put my own spin on it.  No cutesy pink fluffy stuff here! Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Making this also added to the weird wrist thing I have going on since the whole piece is only 10mm with the ladybug being about 6mm or 7mm.  This took some serious sawing concentration!  I added a tiny little rough cut diamond, Suri's birthstone, as the finishing touch.

Moving on to Katie, it seems she wears a lot of dainty delicate jewelry.  Again, a challenge for me.  I wouldn't want to scare her with one of my skulls or "trashed" pieces.  But I wanted to stay true to my style.  So for her, I made an 'S' initial necklace to represent her daughter.

I'm really happy with all three pieces and I hope they love them.

Now, off to finish my display pieces for the MTV Movie Awards gift lounge! 
Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment