Sunday, January 8, 2012

What to do with all that leftover wrapping paper...

The holiday chaos is finally over and now it's back to the grind!
One of the first things I'm working on this year is my "green-ness".
  While I've always been environmentally conscious I've never really made this a focal point of my business. 
Since, I've recently teamed up with The Artisan Group to be a part of their Earth Day 2012 Celebrity Gifting Event, I figured this would be a great way to get the ball rolling.

I started by adding a sustainability pledge to my website.  I guess I thought everyone was eco these days and things like this weren't necessary.  But, you know what they say about assuming...

Then I started thinking about what I could make for these gift bags.  Some of the celebrities who received them last year were Adrian Grenier, Pink, Leonardo DiCaprio, Dave Matthews, Ellen DeGeneres, Orlando Bloom, Edward Norton, Sting, Kate Bosworth, and Drew Barrymore, to name a few. 
I wanted to make something meaningful and eco-friendly without being too crunchy. 

An idea came to me to use my Awareness Ribbon in a bracelet but I wanted to incorporate the color green as well.  So I taught myself to make beads using scraps of paper.  I know this sounds weird but they turned out really cool.  I used some left over green wrapping paper (thanks mom), thread, glue, and sealant.  I combined the beads with my hand cut Awareness Ribbon made from recycled sterling silver and 100% natural eco-friendly hemp.  Then using my hemp weaving skills acquired from hanging in Phish show parking lots, Hookahville festivals, and afternoons in the quad of the OSU campus (had to throw a little crunchy in there) I came up with this...


It's comfy and casual and when I look down and see it on my wrist, it reminds me to do my part. 
One down, 29 to go. 



7 comments:

  1. I love the bracelet you've created for Earth Day! I'm in the design process at the moment also.

    Joy Light
    http://joysilk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for beads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I used to make paper beads, but they never looked that good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beads, very green. Mom

    ReplyDelete